Saturday, June 12, 2010

There are many things that I've always wanted to do: travel to Europe; see the archaeological sites in Mexico, Scotland, China; climb a mountain; jump out of an airplane; write fiction... The list goes on and on, and I add things to it constantly.

Some things I have done, but more I have put off. In the past I have always been busy earning my passage through life to do most of the things I have wanted to do. There were always more important things to do, people to take care of, obligations I had made.

Now, however, I stand at a crossroad in my life. I have finished with one pursuit, and have not yet decided what my next pursuit will be. Now is the time to do at least one of those things I have always wanted to do. This summer, I will ride my bicycle across the country from Irvine, CA to Detroit, MI.

I plan to leave Irvine at the end of June and arrive in Oakland, CA, two weeks later. I know I could get to Oakland in less than two weeks. If I rode 60 miles per day, I would arrive in approximately 9 days. However, I have never ridden so far with all that I need on my bike. So, I plan to take the extra time in order to get used to all of the difficulties I will encounter along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment