Monday, June 14, 2010

Gearing Up Part One

The first consideration, for a 3000 mile + bike trip, is the bike.  The bike will be my best friend for the next couple of months, so I need to make sure it can do everything I want it to do, and still be as comfortable as possible.

My bike is a Schwinn World Tour DLX, with an extra large frame to fit my extra long legs.  It has a smooth and easy ride, and with its triple crankset (50/39/30T), it is great for going up hills.

It came equipped with the rear pannier rack, which will carry a large proportion of my equipment along the road.  However, I understand that stability is increased if the load is distributed front and back.  So, next, I went looking for a front pannier rack.

I went with a Tubus Tara model lowrider front rack, since it has a maximum payload of 15 kg or about 33 lbs, as opposed to the 25 lb limit most others have.  Hopefully I won't need that much weight on the front, but it is nice to know I can carry it if I need to.  It was also easy to install, with directions on Tubus' website.

No comments:

Post a Comment