Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Third Day

I'm in Carpinteria, today.

I had depated riding through LA, but I decided that it would take me several days to get through.  So I took the train from Irvine Station to Ventura.  The ride to the Irvine Station was about 10 miles.  I was proud to have made it, especially since it was the first time I had a loaded bike. 

And, let me tell you, that bike is heavy!  I have been lifting and pedalling it now for two days straight, and last night I went for a ride without my luggage.  The difference was incredible.  It was like lifting nothing, compared to the bike with everything on it.

I spent the night in Ventura, and rode out at 8:00am.  Going along the 1, I had the ocean at my left side for most of the way.  (Sorry, I didn't take pictures.  I'm not used to having the camera yet.  I'll do better in future.)  The ocean is beautiful, but for most of the way, there were RVs packed close together along the beaches.  I never realized that so many people used RVs.

Carpinteria is a very pretty little town.  The houses all seem to be at least 1920s--maybe earlier, I'm not that good at identifying architecture.  Anyway, they are not just boxes, packed close together, like I have often seen here in California.  The town is almost surrounded by hills.

I'm planning to ride to Goleta today.  That's only about 20 miles, but I want to take small bites now to make sure I don't get burned out.  I'm hoping to build up my endurance for later in the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment