Saturday, July 10, 2010

Moro Bay

So it's been a long, hard road, so far.  Not because of the riding, though that has given me problems, too, and I'm just beginning to feel good at the end of the day.  No, mostly my problem has been people.  Now, don't get me wrong:  everybody has been very nice, and I don't have a problem with people who just want to talk, to ask questions, or to tell me about their experiences riding.  The problem I have is with people who want to tell me how to go where I'm going, or how to pack, or whatever--without my ever having asked for advice.  Like the man who stopped me in Lompoc--ran after me and stopped me as I was trying to ride away--in order to tell me the route I should take to Seatle.  This, to me, has always seemed to be assuming my incompetence, and that bothers me.  I wonder why I should be polite to them, if they are going to be so rude to me.

Other than that, I have had a pretty good experience, so far.  I was having trouble with my chain, so I stopped in to a bike shop to have the repair guy look at it.  It was nothing, I was just out of adjustment.  While I was there, though, I talked to the repair guy about my load.  I don't know how much I am carrying, but I know it is a lot.  He told me there is a danger of blowing out spokes, with that much right on the back of my bike.  So we talked trailers.  It turns out that taking some of my load off the back also lets me move around more on the seat, which is more comfortable.

I spent the night in Moro Bay campground last night.  It is the nicest campground I've seen so far; it is clean and well-equipt.  And it is about 3-5 minutes from downtown Moro Bay.  Moro Bay is the best town I have seen so far in California.  The houses are all individuals, there are a lot of little shops that sell all kinds of things, and the bay is beautiful.  If I ever decide to settle in California, Moro Bay would be at the top of my list of places to live.

Well, time is almost up, so I'll have to let this post go as written.

No comments:

Post a Comment